Travel

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Progress over perfection

More often than not, we fall short of achieving what we want. Not because, we may lack the skill, capabilities or the time. As a matter of fact, in spite of. A deep rooted conditioning in many of us, starting with myself, is the want for perfection coupled with the fear of rejection or unacceptance.

Time and again, from our childhood through education, sports and professional engagements to adulthood, the one emphatic message that reverberates through the time is, perfection. Things we are told like, being the best, flawless or impeccable create an imagery where we associate the perfect portrait of an outcome even before we begin. And this, is a major roadblock. 

For instance, I could have written this post 3 days back had I not obsessed about how to make it look perfect, the time I will need to make it look perfect, the audience it should be intended for etc. These are important but not if they block you from taking your first step. 

I was at a training on The Coaching Habit and an important reminder stuck with me and encouraged me to get going with this post. Progress, not perfection! So important to nudge ourselves to remind that Progress is more important than perfection. You cant even fathom reaching perfection if you cant fathom starting off. 

Maybe, it is high time that we retire the term perfection from our daily routine. One, it doesn't serve a purpose, second, it is vague at best and third, it is an abstract term the meaning of which will vary from one person to another. I hope this stays with me every time I resolve to do something. Progress over perfection!

Stop decking your idea with all the bells and whistles of an imaginary state of perfection. Rather, take the first step and let that lead the way.

No comments: