Travel

Friday, February 13, 2009

Photo: thomas and friend by Andre du Plessis

I stumbled upon this page as I was leisurely enjoying some beautiful photographs. Tired from a day’s work, complaining, whining, focussed on the emptiness of the glass, I came to this photograph. Unquestionably an attention grabber, my focus shifted from the details of this photograph to the description modestly tucked below. Ashamed at myself and inspired at the same time, I share with you this lovely work of art, both by the photographer and the subjects themselves.



thomas and friend
by Andre du Plessis


I came across this man and his dogs when I assisted at a trade show in Paris during September 2008. At the time he was sheltering from the rain in a disused shop entrance close to the Pompidou Centre.

Thomas was very forthcoming and courteous, and agreed to my suggestion to visit him later that day to take some pictures and was happy for me to record and share his story.

He avoids sheltering schemes, and moves around all the time, spending most of his days around the St. Michelle area. Originally from Dortmund, he has been living rough in Paris for 15 years now. Odd jobs supply him with some income, as he still sends money to his 4 children, who are back in Germany.

This location was quite intimidating, as this doorway was immediately opposite a very plush bar/brasserie, and everyone was staring and probably hating me for taking advantage of such a situation. Thomas seemed to have enjoyed this session. I did not ask him to change his position - just plonked myself down on the pavement in front of him and shot as we spoke and he sat. For this image I asked him to follow the gaze of his dog, and used the available light, as I always do.

He moves around town with his four dogs on long leads, pushing a bicycle & trailer contraption with a flag on top of it. How he manages to keep his dogs in tow is quite a mystery, as they hardly adhere to any orderly system, and half of his awake day must be taken up by the constant untangling of their ropes.

We made an arrangement that I shall look for him on my next visit there to hand him the prints from our impromptu photo session in the street. That will hopefully be soon.

Given Thomas's life and hardships, I especially appreciate this frame where both him and one of his friends look forward and upwards. Positive and determined.

à bientôt thomas!


Courtesy: Photo: thomas and friend by Andre du Plessis

No comments: